Healthy Recipes: Rice Porridge
What is porridge? Porridge is one of the most famous and international healthy breakfasts, usual in many homes as a fundamental part of a healthy and balanced diet. It is usually made by cooking for a long oats, rice, other grains or even legumes.
Today we share with you our healthy recipe of rice porridge for a healthy and hearty breakfast, with the necessary energy (carbohydrates) that whole grains provide. Porridge recipe is a very easy and low cost recipe that provides the energy our body needs throughout the morning. We also recommend serving it with some Japanese umeboshi plum because it is a very powerful natural alkalizing that also helps us to have a clear and active mind during the whole day.
The ingredients we need for a healthy breakfast with rice porridge are:
- 1 cup of organic brown rice per person
- 5 cups of mineral water for each cup of brown rice
- umeboshi or seasonal fresh fruit as we prefer
The preparation is simple but time consuming, so we always recommend preparing it the night before:
- Soak the rice for at least 5 hours (or overnight) in spring water
- Place the rice in a pressure cooker with soaking water
- Add a pinch of salt or a small piece of kombu seaweed for each cup of rice
- Bring to a boil and cook on a low flame with a diffuser for 50 min
- Turn off and remove the pan from the heat leaving it to cool naturally
- Serve the cream of rice with a little bit of umeboshi or other fruits
As mentioned, although this recipe is for rice porridge, we can also prepare oats porridge (oatmeal porridge) or other whole grains, according to our personal taste.
No need to add sugar because the porridge takes the natural sweet from grain so this unsweetened porridge recipe is very healthy for a complete and healthy breakfast.
Do you like the porridge? Do you have any other way to prepare it?
- Healthy Recipes: Red rice with vegetables and seitan
- Healthy Recipes: Special apple cake, your dessert for Valentine’s Day
- Healthy Recipes: Tuna Tartar
- Healthy Recipes: Macrobiotic Doughnuts